In 1954, after the Women’s Auxiliary of the Church of Christ (Hol.) USA was formed, Bishop M. R. Conic asked the group to build a “Home for the Aged” in Jackson, Mississippi. Bishop Conic, Elder Eddie Jones and others had a vision of a place where seniors could live out their lives in a safe, peaceful, and supportive environment.
The Women’s Auxiliary took it on as a passion project, determined to make the dream a reality. The women pioneers included in this group are Maude Conic, Alice Hamilton, Kermit Hill, Susie Bell Jones, Evia Moore, and Geraldine Williams.
During the late 1990s, the various women’s organizations of the church merged to become the United Christian Women’s Ministries (UCWM). The Home for the Aged was renamed “A New Beginning: An Independent Living Village”. The UCWM designated a smaller unit, the Senior Home and Related Services Ministry, that would have a concentrated focus, to develop the senior village as its project.
Under this ministry, the M. R. Conic Foundation, Inc. (MRCF) was established. The land, located on Country Club Drive and Shellrock Road, in Cynthia County, near Highway 49 (Medgar Evers Blvd.), was dedicated in 2000. Since then, there was a groundbreaking in 2011 and a significant amount of work done surveying and developing the raw land.